BBC News – Twitter says it has 100 million active users
But Dick Costolo also said he wanted the business to remain independent.
He said active users, who log on at least once a month, rose 82% this year.
Half of these 100 million log on at least once a day.
Twitter raised $400m / £250m in venture capital funding this summer.
Mr Costolo said: “We want to be able to remain independent, grow the business the way we want to, and not be beholden to public markets until we feel like we want to be.”
The company began showing adverts in limited areas of its service in 2010.
But it is concerned that commercialisation sometimes alienates users of social media.
Strange Random User Quote:
“The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea.” – Anon.
- Twitter faces dose of reality as it hits 100 million users (guardian.co.uk)
- Twitter Set to Close $400 Million in Series G Funding on $8 Billion Valuation (searchenginejournal.com)
- Bits Blog: Twitter Reaches 100 Million Active Users (bits.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Dick Costolo: Twitter has 100 million active users (tech.fortune.cnn.com)
- Twitter Has 100 Million Active Users (mashable.com)
- Daily Digest: 2-minute news for 9 September (simplybusiness.co.uk)
- Twitter Has 100M Monthly Active Users, And 40% Of Active Users Don’t Tweet (techcrunch.com)
- Twitter Reveals Active User Number, How Many Actually Say Something (techland.time.com)
- What’s coming next for Twitter: fewer fail whales, more users, more ads (venturebeat.com)
Posted on September 12, 2011, in Article and tagged BBC News, Business, Dick Costolo, Microblogging, News conference, Public company, Twitter, Venture capital. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.