David Graeber, the Anti-Leader of Occupy Wall Street – Businessweek
David Graeber likes to say that he had three goals for the year: promote his book, learn to drive, and launch a worldwide revolution. The first is going well, the second has proven challenging, and the third is looking up.
Graeber is a 50-year-old anthropologist—among the brightest, some argue, of his generation—who made his name with innovative theories on exchange and value, exploring phenomena such as Iroquois wampum and the Kwakiutl potlatch. An American, he teaches at Goldsmiths, University of London. He’s also an anarchist and radical organizer, a veteran of many of the major left-wing demonstrations of the past decade: Quebec City and Genoa, the Republican National Convention protests in Philadelphia and New York, the World Economic Forum in New York in 2002, the London tuition protests earlier this year. This summer, Graeber was a key member of a small band of activists who quietly planned, then noisily carried out, the occupation of Lower Manhattan’s Zuccotti Park, providing the focal point for what has grown into an amorphous global movement known as Occupy Wall Street.
Strange Random Occupy Wall Street Quote:
I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration. Don’t blame Wall Street, don’t blame the big banks, if you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself! – Herman Cain, radio personality, businessman — October 5, 2011 remarks to the press.
- David Graeber, the Anti-Leader of Occupy Wall Street (rightways.wordpress.com)
- City Room: #OccupyWallSt Roundup, Day 42 (cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Occupy: the intellectual high ground (guardian.co.uk)
- Generators taken from New York’s ‘Occupy Wall Street’ protesters (independent.co.uk)
- Occupy Wall Street Movement Hits Home (literally) (ishmaelscorner.com)
- Five Minute Commentary on Occupy Wall Street (antwrites.com)
- On Occupy Wall Street, Animation Short Says “Thanks For Nothin'” (lezgetreal.com)
- Generators taken from N.Y. anti-Wall St protesters (theprovince.com)
Posted on October 29, 2011, in Article and tagged David Graeber, Lower Manhattan, New York, Quebec City, Republican National Convention, Wall Street, World Economic Forum, Zuccotti Park. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.