Consumer morale hits record low – Nationwide | Reuters
Reuters – Consumer morale in Britain fell to a record low in October as fears about the euro crisis, rising unemployment and the state of the economy knocked confidence, a monthly survey by mortgage lender Nationwide showed on Thursday.
Nationwide’s consumer confidence index dropped to 36 from 45 in September, the lowest since the survey began in May 2004.
The survey showed that consumers had become even more cautious about spending. “Nearly half of consumers viewed it as a bad time to make a major purchase in October, compared to a quarter who viewed it as a good time to buy,” Gardner said.
The findings bode ill for retailers’ business during the crucial Christmas shopping period.
Strange Random Shopping Quote:
When women are depressed, they eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It’s a whole different way of thinking. – Elayne Boosler
- A Look At People’s REAL Holiday Shopping Plan (businessinsider.com)
- Falling consumer confidence may prompt shop insurance review (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- Shevonne: Senator warns of layaway’s cost (news.yahoo.com)
- Shoppers May Surprise Cautious Retailers (blogs.wsj.com)
- US consumer “confidence” at recessionary levels (ftalphaville.ft.com)
- Consumer Sentiment Increases Again: (michael-mcdevitt.com)
- Consumers Are Miserable, but Still Shopping For Now (blogs.wsj.com)
- Consumer Confidence Is Killing the Economy (dailyfinance.com)
- India tops Global Consumer Confidence index! (trak.in)
- The Inexplicable American Consumer Strikes Again (zerohedge.com)
- Retailers in Dogfight to Sell TVs During Black Friday, Holiday Shopping Season (shoppingblog.com)
- Shop insurance news: Consumers abandon the High Street this Christmas (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- Supercommittee Failure Could Throttle Holiday Spending (blogs.wsj.com)
- U.S. Consumer Confidence Now Lower Than At Height Of Global Recession (huffingtonpost.com)
- Media Digest (9/21/2011) Reuters, WSJ, NYTimes, FT, Bloomberg (247wallst.com)
- Quarter of shoppers ‘have no spare cash’ (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- Personal loan price war intensifies as Nationwide cuts rate to 6.2pc (telegraph.co.uk)
- Consumer confidence at lowest since recession (seattlepi.com)
- No HP TouchPad for You … Unless You Buy a HP PC! (geardiary.com)
- UK Consumer Confidence Hits Record Low In October (forexlive.com)
- Consumer confidence ‘at record low’ (mirror.co.uk)
- Nationwide: Consumer confidence dips, affects housing (bestsavingsnews.co.uk)
- UK consumer confidence continues downward slide (telegraph.co.uk)
- Property market ‘treading water’ says Nationwide (independent.co.uk)
Posted on November 17, 2011, in Article and tagged Chief economist, Christmas, Consumer, Consumer Confidence Index, Elayne Boosler, Nationwide, October, Reuters, Robert Gardner, Shopping. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.