Qantas Twitter campaign a PR disaster | WORLD News
Posted by exitlanguages
As part of its foray into social media marketing, Qantas put out an invitation on its Twitter feed for members of the public to sing its praises.
“Tell us what is your dream luxury inflight experience? Be creative! Answer must include the hashtag QantasLuxury,” it tweeted.Top tweets were promised a gift pack including a pair of Qantas pyjamas and “luxury amenity kit”.
But less than a month after grounding its entire fleet, and not even 24 hours after talks with its unions fell in a heap, it looked like it would take more than PJs and a toiletries bag to win back the public.
The competition was quickly flooded with a stream of angry and sarcastic comments, and people simply taking the opportunity to have a joke at the airline’s expense.
“What’s odder, the idiotic timing or the imbecilic prize?” asked one tweeter.
Strange Random PR Quote:
“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” – George Orwell
- Qantas Twitter Competition Is Huge PR Mistake For Beleaguered Airline (huffingtonpost.com)
- Qantas Twitter hashtag campaign backfires as unhappy customers hijack it (mirror.co.uk)
- Epic fail for Qantas Twitter competition (reuters.com)
- Downfall of Qantas (mumbrella.com.au)
- #QantasLuxury crashes into ground, we take Twitter down for the ride (intentious.com)
- Qantas Twitter stunt an epic fail (heraldsun.com.au)
- New Qantas PR hash (theage.com.au)
- Qantas marketing campaign on Twitter backfires (digitaltrends.com)
- Qantas Airways Twitter #fail (webinknow.com)
- #QantasLuxury Fail #2 (edwinaluck.com)