Retirement realities lag expectations, poll suggests – Business – CBC News
Retirement is not all it’s cracked up to be, a new poll from RBC suggests.
The RBC poll compared with what retirees said they do with what pre-retirees said they planned to do. According to the bank, “retired Canadians are living lifestyles that are worlds apart from how nearly retired Canadians think they’ll be spending their retirement years.”
Some of the key differences:
- More than half 56 per cent of pre-retirees said they’d volunteer, but only 38 per cent of retirees do.
- Nearly three-quarters 74 per cent of pre-retirees said they’d travel, but only 58 per cent of retirees actually do.
- Three out of 10 pre-retirees said they’d become a snowbird, but only 14 per cent of retirees do.
Strange Random Retirement Quote:
When you retire, you switch bosses – from the one who hired you to the one who married you. – Gene Perret
- Freedom 55 dreams differ from retired reality (moneyville.ca)
- Union retirees worried about pension cuts (cbc.ca)
- First time buyers relying on retired parents (confused.com)
- Canadians dream of retiring debt-free at 63 – then reality sets in (canada.com)
- 7 Misconceptions About Retired Life (money.usnews.com)
- Retirement at 63 more of a dream than reality for Canadians: Poll (vancouversun.com)
- Retirement or College? The Toughest Choice You May Not Have to Make (education.com)
- Pension savers to benefit from flexibility (confused.com)
- Retirement Planning- What CAN you count on? (everymaninvesting.com)
- Eighty and employed (macleans.ca)
- Baby Boomers Are In For A Retirement Health Shock (forbes.com)
- Older workers hold on longer (theage.com.au)
- Poll: Seniors Disappointed By Golden Years (npr.org)
- Today’s retirees 60pc worse off as gilt yields fall to record lows (telegraph.co.uk)