An Irish Startup Cuts Factory Cleaning Costs With Salt and Water – Bloomberg
In 2005, Simply Soups bet on a technology startup that promised to slash the soup maker’s cleaning and disinfection costs with little more than sodium chloride the main ingredient in table salt and water. The pitch: Install the startup’s machine onsite and use the solutions it generates to sanitize the factory’s lines and tanks rather than truck in chemicals.
The startup, called Trustwater, produces a detergent and a disinfectant powerful enough to destroy any microbe. Its devices build on a decades-old invention involving passing electricity through a salt solution. The process, known as electrochemical activation, was developed by Russian scientists in the 1970s to treat drilling fluids in the oil and gas industries in Uzbekistan.
For Simply Soups, which produces 150,000 liters of all-natural stock each week in its factory in Ireland, near Dublin, installing Trustwater’s unit meant it could forego the expensive chemical it had relied on for sanitizing its equipment. And because Trustwater’s solutions work at ambient temperatures, Simply Soups didn’t need to spend time or money heating them. Another bonus: Trustwater’s disinfectant doesn’t need to be rinsed off. “We have cut our production costs by reducing the water consumption and chemical use,” says Barry Brophy, Simply Soups’ plant manager.
Strange Random Salt Quote:
“Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed.” – Buddha (Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.)
- Staying Healthy While You’re Away on Study Abroad: Don’t Drink the Water?!? (education.com)
- Apache Acorn Soup (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- Olympus Introduces New Peracetic Acid Solution for Rapid High-Level Disinfection (prnewswire.com)
- 3 Soothing Ways to Use Therapeutic Sea Salts (bellasugar.com)
- Green Chili Cheesy Potato Soup (fitnessfoodandwhateverelse.wordpress.com)
- Tranquil Body Treats bath salts and salt scrub review (lipglossismylife.com)
- Health Department encouraging restaurant owners to make greener choices ()
- Recipes for Health: Vegetable Soups, Smooth and Hearty – Recipes for Health (nytimes.com)
Posted on December 18, 2011, in Article and tagged Business, Cleanliness, Disinfectant, Drilling fluid, Dublin, Ireland, Salt, Sodium chloride, Startup company, Uzbekistan. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.