Woman takes unique road to sue Honda over mileage – Yahoo! News
TORRANCE, Calif. AP — A woman who expected her 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid to be her dream car wants Honda to pay for not delivering the high mileage it promised. But rather than joining other owners in a class-action lawsuit, she is going solo in small claims court, an unusual move that could offer a bigger payout if it doesn’t backfire.
Heather Peters says her car never came close to getting the promised 50 miles per gallon, and as its battery deteriorated, it was getting only 30 mpg. She wants Honda to pay for her trouble and the extra money she spent on gas.
Peters, a former lawyer who long ago gave up her bar card, has devised a unique legal vehicle to drive Honda into court — a small claims suit that could cost the company up to $10,000 in her case and every other individual case filed in the same manner.
If other claimants follow her lead, she estimates Honda could be forced to pay $2 billion in damages. No high-priced lawyers are involved and the process is streamlined.
“I would not be surprised if she won,” said Richard Cupp Jr., who teaches product liability law at Pepperdine University. “The judge will have a lot of discretion and the evidentiary standards are relaxed in small claims court.”
A win for Peters could encourage others to take this simplified route, he said.
“There’s an old saying among lawyers,” Cupp said. “If you want real justice, go to small claims court.”
Strange Random Car Mileage Quote:
“If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside” – Robert Cringely
- Woman Takes Unique Road to Sue Honda Over Mileage (abcnews.go.com)
- Honda sued in small claims over gas mileage (content.usatoday.com)
- Honda Civic Hybrid lawsuit could go guerrilla in small claims court (green.autoblog.com)
- Get justice for less and no attorney fees to worry (daanvottin.wordpress.com)
- Wheels Blog: Unhappy Honda Owner Taking Case to Small Claims Court (wheels.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Car owner takes legal fight away from lawyers – Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
- An interesting … (williamflew.wordpress.com)
- News – Civic Lawsuit (thesecularity.com)
- Honda Car Owner Sues Company, Manages To Avoid Lawyers (inquisitr.com)
Posted on January 3, 2012, in Article and tagged American Honda Motor Company, Class action, Honda, Honda Civic Hybrid, Pepperdine University, Peters, Small claims court, Torrance. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.