Spotify Doesn’t Sound So Great to Some Artists – Businessweek
Adele’s 21 was the biggest album of 2011, hitting the top spot in dozens of countries and garnering six Grammy nominations in November. Her latest single, Someone Like You, is playing everywhere. Everywhere except Spotify.
Adele is among a vanguard of artists including Coldplay, The Black Keys, and Tom Waits who have opted not to make their latest albums available on streaming-music services like Rdio, Mog, and Spotify, where users pay a monthly fee of $5 to $10 to listen to as much music as they want, or listen for free with occasional advertisements. Artists earn money from such services every time their songs are played, but some believe the revenue doesn’t match what they’d get from outright sales.
“I am very concerned,” says Dave Holmes, Coldplay’s manager. “Spotify competes with download stores” like iTunes, he says. He plans to keep the album released on Oct. 24, Mylo Xyloto, available only as a purchase for several months. “Like all of Coldplay’s other titles, the new album will be on [Spotify] eventually,” he says. In effect, Holmes and like-minded managers are mimicking the so-called windowing practice pioneered by Hollywood. Movie studios usually stagger the release of films, first to theaters, then on DVD, and later on cable channels and streaming sites like Netflix (NFLX). That strategy maximizes revenue for movie and TV producers, says Needham analyst Laura Martin, but could be a problem for streaming sites if the practice becomes widespread in music. “It certainly hurts Spotify’s perceived value if the consumer frequently searches for songs that aren’t there, even if that represents a small fraction of titles,” she says.
Strange Random Digital Media Quote:
Digital media has destroyed much of the magic and mystery of the medium. – John Dyer
- Coldplay Will Warm To Streaming After Unit Sales Ebb (paidcontent.org)
- Unlimited listening on Spotify will vanish for U.S. early adopters next week (digitaltrends.com)
- Why Artists Like Coldplay Aren’t Bringing New Albums to Spotify (1ntheknow.wordpress.com)
- Adele, other top acts, avoid music-streaming sites (sfgate.com)
- How to Solve the Mystery of Spotify and the Missing Coldplay Album (allthingsd.com)
- Gary Marshall: Spotify: superb, or superbly cynical? (techradar.com)
- Music Diary Notes: Coldplay … NOT Coming to Spotify/Rdio/MOG/etc … (geardiary.com)
- Coldplay’s Mylo Xyloto won’t appear on Spotify (guardian.co.uk)