N.Y. Airports Account for Half of All Delays – NYTimes.com
Each day, thousands of passengers are stuck on planes at the airports — Kennedy, La Guardia and Newark Liberty International — sitting in line behind a dozen other planes waiting to take off or circling overhead until they get clearance to land.
And the delays persist, despite changes in procedures and schedules by the airlines, airports and Federal Aviation Administration over the years. In the latest move, the F.A.A. last fall created new flight paths out of Kennedy to speed up departures. Even a significant drop in the number of flights since the economy slowed has not helped much. Flight delays last year in New York were as bad as they were five years ago.
In the first half of 2011, the region’s airspace — defined as the big three airports, plus Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, which caters to corporate jets, and Philadelphia International Airport — handled 12 percent of all domestic flights but accounted for nearly half of all delays in the nation. In the same period in 2005, they represented just a third of all delays, according to a report by the Government Accountability Office.
These delays ripple across the country. A third of all delays around the nation each year are caused, in some way, by the New York airports, according to the F.A.A. Or, as Paul McGraw, an operations expert with Airlines for America, the industry trade group, put it, “When New York sneezes, the rest of the national airspace catches a cold.”
Strange Random Airport Quote:
That is the trouble with flying: We always have to return to airports. Thank of how much fun flying would be if we didn’t have to return to airports. — Henry Minizburg, Why I Hate Flying: Tales for the Tormented Traveler, 2001.
- Fog Causes Delays Up To 2 Hours At Philadelphia International Airport (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Rain, clouds causing flight delays at Newark, JFK and LaGuardia airports (nj.com)
- Air Canada, WestJet, Porter boost service as battle for New York heats up (thestar.com)
- Heavy rain causing flight delays at Newark Liberty, LaGuardia, Teterboro airports (nj.com)
- Punctuality plummets at airports (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Travel guide ranks best, worst airport terminals (travel.usatoday.com)
- UK airports report minimal strike disruption (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- US Airways opposes Philadelphia International Airport expansion plan (philly.com)
Posted on January 28, 2012, in Article and tagged Airport, Federal Aviation Administration, LaGuardia Airport, New Jersey, New York, Newark Liberty International Airport, Philadelphia International Airport, Teterboro Airport. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.