A Brand Too Strong to Stay in Its Own Ad – NYTimes.com
A NEW commercial featuring Charmin Freshmates, the moist flushable toilet paper, opens with a shot of the product atop the tank of a commode.
“Charmin Freshmates are formulated to clean you better than dry bath tissue,” says a voiceover. “And they —— ”
“Old Spice is too powerful to stay in its own commercial!” Mr. Crews says, as the commercial closes with a shot of four Old Spice body spray scents and a slogan for the brand’s newest campaign, “Smell is power.”
Another commercial featuring Bounce dryer bars, a fabric softener that attaches inside dryers and lasts for months, begins with a woman holding a basket of clothes in the laundry room of her suburban home.
“To stop static cling, I put Bounce dryer sheets in every load of laundry,” she says. “It gives my clothes that line-dried —— ”
Mr. Crews crashes through the wall on a Jet Ski.
“Old Spice body spray smells so much like power,” says Mr. Crews, who is shirtless, “it sells itself in other people’s commercials!”
Mr. Crews sniffs the woman’s basket. “You smell like line-dried freshness,” he says, to which she replies, “You smell like power.”
The ads are by the Old Spice agency, Wieden & Kennedy in Portland, Ore., and are directed by Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, of “Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job,” on Adult Swim. The ads will be introduced on Facebook and YouTube on Thursday and on television on Feb. 6.
Strange Random Advertising Quote:
“I have always believed that writing advertisements is the second most profitable form of writing. The first, of course, is ransom notes…” – Philip Dusenberry
- New Old Spice Blown Mind Commercial (great-ads.blogspot.com)
- Terry Crews is next ‘Old Spice Guy’ (econsultancy.com)
- Terry Crews’ Brain Explodes on Him in Old Spice Spot (adweek.com)
- Old Spice Ad is Literally Mind-Blowing [VIDEO] (mashable.com)
- “Angry moviegoers storm out of Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie” (which goes on demand today) (brooklynvegan.com)
- Old Spice Introduces Odor Blocker Body Wash — Blocks Body Odor for 16 Hours (prweb.com)
- WATCH: Celebs Take ‘Billion Dollar Movie Pledge’ (huffingtonpost.com)
Posted on February 1, 2012, in Article and tagged Charmin, Eric Wareheim, National Football League, Old Spice, Terry Crew, Tim And Eric Awesome Show Great Job, Tim Heidecker, YouTube. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.