Forget pizza: Wings fly high on Super Bowl Sunday – USATODAY.com
The New York Giants and New England Patriots won’t be Sunday’s only competitors. Super Bowl snack makers also are battling for a spot in living room buffets, where chicken wings have become a highflying contender.
Football fans have cultivated a palate for wings during the last several years, and these saucy snacks now rank second only to salsa and dips this year on the list of favorite Super Bowl snacks, according Harris Interactive‘s annual Supervalu Snack Down survey. Americans will scarf down 1.25 billion wings while watching Sunday’s game, the National Chicken Council projects.
Behind all this is the ferocious, multibillion-dollar battle among makers and sellers of pizza, chicken, chili, chips and sliced meats for “share of stomach” on Super Bowl Sunday, one of the biggest snacking days of the year.
“It’s Americana now — it’s wings and beer and a ballgame,” say Paul Ballard, CEO of Wow Café and Wingery, the nation’s No. 3 wing chain. “That’s kind of what the day’s all about.”
Chicken wings were the game-day favorite for 23% of Americans in the Harris poll, close behind dips and spreads at 32% preferred. Pizza and salty snacks tied for third at 14%. In last year’s survey, wings received 22% of the vote — a jump from 16% in 2010.
Strange Random Chicken Quote:
“Business is never so healthy as when, like a chicken, it must do a certain amount of scratching for what it gets” – Henry Ford
- Eat a Chicken Wing with One Hand [Video] (lifehacker.com)
- Guacamole, Pizza, and Wings, Oh My! (myfoxphoenix.com)
- The perfect sports match: Super Bowl and chicken wings (theglobeandmail.com)
- Sugar Shout Out: Snack on Kale Chips For Super Bowl Sunday (popsugar.com)
- Super Bowl Sunday: It’s About the Food (business-opportunities.biz)
- The American Animal (slog.thestranger.com)
- 1.25 Billion Chicken Wings? The Vast Amounts of Crappy Food Americans Consume on Super Bowl Sunday (alternet.org)
- Activist Super Bowl Billboards – PETA Chicken Wings Ad Discourages Wing-Eating During Games (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- FoodAndBeveragePeople.com Reviews Why Super Bowl Sunday is Really a Giant Food Bowl (prweb.com)
Posted on February 3, 2012, in Article and tagged Buffalo wing, Harris Interactive, Henry Ford, National Chicken Council, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Super Bowl, United States. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.