“Without a smart grid, electricity prices will soar” – Globes
Electricity prices in Western countries will soar 400% in the next 30 years if electricity grids do not become smart grids, according to Dr. Guido Bartels, chairman of the Global Smart Grid Federation GSGF and general manager of IBM‘s Global Energy and Utilities Industry.
Bartels came to Israel last month as a guest of the Israel Smart Grid Consortium. The first step that will be taken in Israel towards introducing a smart grid will be a pilot scheme starting at the end of the year among 2,500 households in Binyamina. This is an initiative by Israel Electric Corporation IEC that involves installing systems that will provide running information on the Internet about electricity consumption, and that will enable IEC and the consumer to plan the home’s consumption, with a view to making it more efficient. In the future, all 2.5 million electricity meters in Israel are planned to be replaced by smart meters that enable remote reading, at a total cost of NIS 3 billion.
Governments around the world have pledged $15 billion in incentives for smart grid ventures. “The task of a Federation like ours is to create a vision 20-30 years ahead for these governments,” Bartels says. “In the US, we managed to persuade the administration to allocate $4.5 billion to this issue out of the incentives package for 2009, there are projects in California, and in Denmark they want to charge electric vehicles using wind. In Malta, the first pilot on a nationwide-scale is being carried out over five years, from 2009 to 2013. Malta stands in great need of energy for water desalination, and the goal is to reach a saving of 5-15% on people’s electricity bills.”
Strange Random Electricity Quote:
“If it weren’t for electricity we’d all be watching television by candlelight.” – George Gobal
- The Price of Doing Nothing for the Smart Grid (greentechmedia.com)
- Smart Grid Billing Focus Will Shift in 2012 to Better Use of Meter Data for New Services (prweb.com)
- Smart Grids – the way of the future (myhomelifemag.wordpress.com)
- Smart Grid Technology (hazima.wordpress.com)
- The Recently Released NRG Expert “Utility Metering Deployment and Smart Grid Report” Reveals a Strong Smart Grid Industry With Worldwide Growth to Remain Steady (prweb.com)
- Why Smart Grid Technology-testing Standards are critical (theenergycollective.com)