‘Walmart of weed’ opening store in Washington, D.C. – USATODAY.com
Just a few miles from the White House and federal buildings, a company that candidly caters to medical marijuana growers is opening up its first outlet on the East Coast. The opening of the weGrow store on Friday in Washington coincides with the first concrete step in implementing a city law allowing residents with certain medical conditions to purchase pot.
Like suppliers of picks and axes during the gold rush, weGrow sees itself providing the necessary tools to pioneers of a “green rush,” which some project could reach nearly $9 billion within the next five years. Admittedly smaller than a big box store, weGrow is not unlike a typical retailer in mainstream America, with towering shelves of plant food and vitamins, ventilation and lighting systems. Along with garden products, it offers how-to classes, books and magazines on growing medical marijuana.
“The more that businesses start to push the envelope by showing that this is a legitimate industry, the further we’re going to be able to go in changing people’s minds,” said weGrow founder Dhar Mann.
Although federal law outlaws the cultivation, sale or use of marijuana, 16 states and the District of Columbia have legalized its medical use to treat a wide range of issues from anxiety and back pain to HIV/AIDS and cancer-related ailments. Fourteen states also have some kind of marijuana decriminalization law, removing or lowering penalties for possession.
Strange Random Marijuana Quote:
- Walmart Of Weed? (uniquedaily.com)
- Could the “Walmart of Weed” in DC impact political perspectives on pot policy? (sentencing.typepad.com)
- Capital gets garden store for medical pot growers (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- A store for medical marijuana entrepreneurs – Washington Post (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- ‘Walmart of Weed’ to Open in DC Tomorrow (inquisitr.com)
- Feds Battle California’s Medical Marijuana Industry; Will Colorado Be Next? (danielrrosen.com)
- Ft. Collins Voters Will Decide Whether to Ban Medical Marijuana Stores (danielrrosen.com)