Disney Studio Chief Rich Ross Leaves: Why and What Now – CNBC
The chairman of Disney’s movie studio, Rich Ross, wrote in a note to his staff Friday that he is stepping down and the role is no longer “the right professional fit for me.” Ross ran the studio for just two and a half years, and now is cleaving under the cloud of a massive bomb—”John Carter.”
Less than a month ago Disney [DIS 42.35 0.27 +0.64% ] warned that it would lose $200 million on “John Carter,” and the film would be responsible for $80 million to $120 million in operating losses.
Though the script was in development for years before Ross arrived at the studio, and its failure was attributed primarily to a terrible marketing campaign, the buck stops with the studio chief.
Ross oversaw its $250 million production budget and another $100 million spent on marketing.
That wasn’t Ross’ only disappointment: in his tenure Disney also launched “Mars Needs Moms,” one of its biggest bombs ever. “Prom” was also a failed experiment at bringing the low-budget TV movie model to the big screen: Teen audiences just didn’t turn out in the numbers expected.
Under Ross’ watch Disney has cut the number of movies it produces, filling its pipe with lower-risk distribution deals with partners like Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks. The problem: with fewer films, bombs sting all the more.
Strange Random Disney Quote:
“It’s a new era at Disney. From now on, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be known as Person of No Color and the Seven Vertically Challenged Individuals.” – Argus Hamilton
- Disney’s Studio Chief Rich Ross Resigns After ‘John Carter’ Flop (inquisitr.com)
- Rich Ross Steps Down As Disney Movie Studio Chairman (eurasiareview.com)
- Rich Ross, Disney Studio Chairman, Quits (mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Disney Studios Head Rich Ross Steps Down (adweek.com)
- Blame it on Mars: Rich Ross done as Disney studio chief (paidcontent.org)
- Disney film studio boss Rich Ross quits following ‘John Carter’ flop (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Summary Box: Disney studio chief quits after bombs (sfgate.com)
- Rich Ross out at Disney (insidemovies.ew.com)
- Disney studio chief steps down after ‘John Carter’ loss (ctv.ca)
- Studio President Rich Ross Resigns From Disney (losangeles.cbslocal.com)