Britain’s richest see fortunes rise to record high | Reuters
(Reuters) – Britain’s wealthiest people saw their fortunes rise to record levels last year, according to the annual Sunday Times Rich List, at a time when most Britons‘ earnings and savings were squeezed by inflation and low interest rates.
The combined wealth of Britain’s 1,000 richest people swelled by almost five percent to more than 414 billion pounds ($670 billion), the highest recorded by the 24-year-old survey, the Sunday Times newspaper said in an advance release on Saturday.
Some 77 members of the 2012 rich list were billionaires, two more than the previous record in 2008.
Their good fortune contrasted with the economic plight of many Britons who face five years of austerity aimed at wiping out a record budget deficit as the economy struggles to recover from the 2008 financial crisis.
The three top places in the list were dominated by foreign-born magnates with a base in Britain who earned their fortunes from resource-based industries such as minerals, steel and oil.
Lakshmi Mittal retained his crown as Britain’s richest man despite losing almost a quarter of his wealth over the past year following a fall in the share value of his ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steelmaker.
The Indian-born businessman saw his personal worth slide by 4.8 billion pounds to 12.7 billion pounds, but that was still enough to keep him narrowly on top of the list.
Strange Random Wealth Quote:
“Wealth stays with us a little moment if at all: only our characters are steadfast, not our gold.” – Euripides (Greek playwright, c. 480-406 BC)
- Lakshmi Mittal retains crown as Britain’s richest man (firstpost.com)
- Rich List Reveals Record Fortunes Among Britain’s Wealthiest (freeinternetpress.com)
- Britain’s richest see fortunes rise to record high (windsorstar.com)
- Rich List reveals record fortunes for Britain’s wealthiest (guardian.co.uk)
- Rich List riches…£414bn (express.co.uk)
- The rich get richer: Where did your favourite celebs chart in the 2012 Rich List? (mirror.co.uk)
- Sunday Times Rich List Charts Rising Fortunes of ‘The 0.0000161%’ (infantile-disorder.blogspot.com)
- UK News: Wealthiest share £414bn fortune (walesonline.co.uk)
- National News: Wealthiest share £414bn fortune (coventrytelegraph.net)
Posted on April 30, 2012, in Article and tagged Alisher Usmanov, ArcelorMittal, Britain, Briton, Lakshmi Mittal, Reuters, Sunday Times, Sunday Times Rich List. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.