Bottom Line – Skinnygirl cocktails are fastest growing liquor brand, report says
Skinnygirl cocktails — the lower-cal brand of spirits founded by a Real Housewife of New York — was the fastest growing brand of spirits in the US last year, posting a 388 percent sales increase according to a new booze industry report.
Skinnygirl was started by Bethanny Frankel in 2009. She was part of the cast Bravo’s “The Real Housewives of New York City” and “Bethanny Getting Married.” The brand has grown from a single offering – a premixed margarita — to four lines of premixed cocktails with four flavored vodkas and three wines debuting nationally this month. It was acquired by liquor giant Beam in 2011.
The main selling point is the premixed cocktails are lower in calories than standard mixes. According to Technomic, the company moved 586,000 cases in 2011.
“The business last year dramatically overpeformed our expectations so that was a delight,” said Deb Boyda, mixables general manager at Beam.
The success is “sort of a triple play,” said Technomic’s Donna Hood Crecca, “You have a product that was certainly on trend of being a lower calorie offering. It was backed by a celebrity that was coming on strong. And the liquid in the bottle itself is appealing, very female friendly. It’s also priced right.”
“Even the name, Skinnygirl, just works,” Crecca said. “When it got into Beam’s marketing, it just exploded.”
Strange Random Cocktail Quote:
If you want an interesting party sometime, combine cocktails and a fresh box of crayons for everyone. – Robert Fulghum
- Bethenny Frankel Just Made $25 Million (celebritynetworth.com)
- Skinnygirl cocktails are fastest growing liquor brand, report says (bottomline.msnbc.msn.com)
- How Much Money Did Bethenny Frankel Make Selling Skinnygirl Cocktails? (celebritynetworth.com)
- Tidbits #6 – Product Review: Skinnygirl Vodka (smbmatters.wordpress.com)
- Skinnygirl Wine Exposed: Not So Low-Calorie (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Skinnygirl, fat bottom line (chicagobusiness.com)
- Skinnygirl introducing big lineup expansion (timesunion.com)
- Bethenny Frankel Leverages Reality-Stardom to Launch Branded Alcoholic Beverage (tvbythenumbers.com)
- Bethenny Frankel’s Secrets to Staying Fit (everydayhealth.com)
- The cocktail blog: The virtual cocktail cabinet (thisislondon.co.uk)