Vatican bank sacks president | BUSINESS News
The board unanimously passed a no-confidence vote in Italian Ettore Gotti Tedeschi for failing to carry out “various fundamentally important functions of his office”, the Vatican statement said.
The bank will seek a new president who can “re-establish full and effective relations between the Institute and the financial community, based on mutual respect of internationally accepted banking standards”, it said.
The Vatican bank, founded in 1942 by Pope Pius XII, has been in the spotlight since September 2010 when Italian investigators froze $38 million of its funds in Italian banks after opening an investigation into possible money-laundering.
Gotti Tedeschi told Reuters that he had been ousted because the bank did not like his honest way of doing things.
“I don’t want to speak or give interviews, I have paid for my transparency,” he said.
The Vatican recently adopted new financial transparency laws and set up internal regulations to make sure its bank and all other departments adhere to international regulations and standards, and cooperate with foreign authorities.
But in January, Italian newspapers published leaked internal letters that appeared to show a conflict among top Vatican officials about just how transparent the bank should be about dealings that took place before it enacted its new laws.
Strange Random Vatican Quote:
- Ettore Gotti Tedeschi – Chief of Vatican Bank – Dismissed (lesliebrodie.wordpress.com)
- Vatican Bank chief Tedeschi dismissed (seeker401.wordpress.com)
- BBC: Ettore Gotti Tedeschi – ousted chief of Vatican Bank – is under investigation for suspected money-laundering (lesliebrodie.wordpress.com)
- Vatican Bank Boss Fired Over Alleged Mismanagement (eurasiareview.com)
- Vatican Bank Head Ousted for Scandal (pochp.wordpress.com)
- Vatican Bank President Fired After String of Scandals (sgtreport.com)
- Vatican In Chaos After Pope’s Butler Arrested For Leaks (freeinternetpress.com)
- Vatican Bank boss fired over alleged mismanagement (catholicnewsagency.com)
- Vatican Bank chief Tedeschi dismissed (geocrises.org)
- Vatican Bank Head Loses Anchor in Holy See (americankabuki.blogspot.com)
Posted on May 27, 2012, in Article and tagged Bank, Elayne Boosler, Institute for Works of Religion, Jesus, List of newspapers in Italy, Money laundering, Motion of no confidence, Pope Pius XII, Reuters, Vatican. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.