Office Upgrade: The Pullout Desk-Bed – Businessweek
What it is: a desk that transforms into a bed
Cost: $3,250 (does not include mattress)
There are entire ad campaigns devoted to the subject: that 3 p.m. wall every working professional fears. You’ve already had a few cups of coffee—or a five-hour energy drink—but what you need more than anything is a nap. You don’t have a couch like Don Draper. If only you could crawl under your desk and sleep.
This $3,250 desk, by Carugo, Italy furniture designer Clei, offers a cleverly veiled napping station. The surface lifts up as the twin-size bed is pulled down. It’s a free-standing unit, so it doesn’t have to be attached to a wall, and since the back of the desk is finished, it can also be used as a room divider—assuming you have the corner office.
“That’s the whole point of the power nap. You’d need to have your own office, wouldn’t you?” says Ron Barth, co-founder and president of importer and distributor Resource Furniture. “Or offices that are liberal, where people would understand taking a nap.”
Strange Random Nap Quote:
- Bloomberg: Sleep at Your Desk (But Not With Your Smartphone) (theatlanticwire.com)
- Copeland Omni Laptop Desk: Going, Going…. (vermontwoodsstudios.typepad.com)
- ‘Best Standing Desks’ (thewirecutter.com)
- The Best Standing Desks And Why You Need One (theawl.com)
- How Green is Your Office Furniture? (greenerideal.com)
- Stylish Computer Desk Perfect for Your Home or Office (smarthome.com)
- This Or That- Desk For a Girls Room (courtneyprice.com)