At a time where the demand for transparent communication in the workplace is at a premium, employees are not speaking-up enough. How you express your opinions at work or not is a direct reflection upon how people experience who you are and what you represent as a team member, department leader and as an individual. Your voice defines the value you bring to the organization. In most cases, your identity is misrepresented because your voice does not consistently communicate what is really on your mind. If this sounds too familiar, it is apparent that you are not performing at your most optimum levels.
The ongoing political dynamics in the workplace makes it easy for employees to voice their opinion. For example, the next time you are in a meeting, ask yourself, “Who is really adding value to the goals of the conversation?” In a meeting of five people you are lucky if more than two consistently deliver. In fact, how many times has someone said to you in a meeting, “That’s a great idea you should do something with it.” What happens? More often than not, the idea remains dormant and then it dies.
Did someone hold you accountable to act upon the idea? Were the other people in the meeting paying attention to the opportunity that was presented to you?In today’s workplace, more people are keeping quiet and are just going with the flow — thinking that this is the best way to advance, get noticed and / or win the political gaming that takes place at work. For others, it is a survival mechanism.
Strange Random Speaking Quote:
‘Of those who say nothing, few are silent.’ – Thomas Neiel
- Getting Employees to Speak Up, Not Complain Behind the Scenes (themarlincompany.com)
- For Dummies | Skills and Personal Qualities that Employers Want (jobmarketmonitor.com)
- Are Your Employees Scared to Innovate? (openforum.com)
- Nine Things Never to Say to Your Boss (marionmn.wordpress.com)
- Is the Workplace Causing Employee Obesity? (notsocorporatewellness.wordpress.com)
- 6 Intangibles Make You A Premium (smallbiztrends.com)
Vodpod videos no longer available.
Strange Random Generation Quote:
“It’s a different generation. They don’t want to sit and have tea and listen to a speech. They need to be more project-oriented.” – Bob Gordon
- What’s in your wallet? Not a lot for millennials once the star consumer now fading in fear of debt, needing altruism to make brand decisions (punchandkiss.com)
- Millennials ‘lackadaisical’ about work: poll (vancouversun.com)
- Ypulse Essentials: Pinterest Is The Third Most Popular Social Network, ‘Bully’ Gets A PG-13 Rating, Millennials’ Attitudes About Living At Home (ypulse.com)
- Millennials: “Generation Me” or “Generation We” (anadventureworthtelling.wordpress.com)
- Millennials: Bringing Flip Flops, Facebook and Speed to Work (fox4kc.com)
- Millennials Stay Connected With WhatsApp (ypulse.com)
- What Boomers, Millennials, Elderly All Have in Common: Money Fears (dailyfinance.com)
- Millennials more difficult to reach, but respond well to creative ads (agbeat.com)
Comedy Central has a lot riding on, well, comedy. And now research it commissioned about how young men view humor has provided the cable channel with some encouraging conclusions about the preferences of its most important demographic group.
More than music, more than sports, more than “personal style,” comedy has become essential to how young men view themselves and others, the research showed.
Stuck in an elevator? Sixty-three percent of young men surveyed said they would choose to be there with Jon Stewart or some other favorite comic, and only 15 percent said they would prefer that time with Eli Manning or some other idolized athlete.
Eighty-eight percent of respondents said their sense of humor was crucial to their self-definition, 74 percent said “funny people are more popular,” and 58 percent said they sent out funny videos to make what might be called a special impression on someone else.
These sentiments were reflected in an online survey of 2,000 people conducted by Nielsen Entertainment Television. Additional conclusions were formed from the results of so-called buddy groups, run by the research group Sachs Insights, which brought together young men in 19 cities around the country. Comedy Central is studying the results to discern how valuable comedy has become to the generation known as millennials, which it defines as young adults born after the first Reagan inauguration, in 1981.
“We called them Comedy Natives,” said Tanya Giles, the executive vice president for research at Comedy Central’s parent, MTV Networks. “Comedy is so central to who they are, the way they connect with other people, the way they get ahead in the world. One big takeaway is that unlike previous generations, humor, and not music, is their No. 1 form of self-expression.”
The challenge now, said Michele Ganeless, the president of Comedy Central, “is creating a new business model around all of this.”
Strange Random Comedy Quote:
“The duty of comedy is to correct men by amusing them.” – Moliere (French Actor, Playwright and Writer the greatest of all writers of French comedy, 1622-1673)
- Comedy Central Suspends the Colbert Report (bilerico.com)
- ‘Colbert Report’ off air; Comedy Central mum (newsok.com)
- Comedy Central renews ‘Key’ (variety.com)
- ‘Colbert Report’ off air; Comedy Central mum (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Comedy Central Renews ‘Key & Peele,’ Invests In Smart Commentary on Race (thinkprogress.org)
- Stephen Colbert Returns, Talks Rumors Surrounding Absence From Comedy Central (eonline.com)
- Don’t Miss the Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen Tonight at 10pm (dishtvblog.com)
- ‘Key’ launches strong for Comedy Central (variety.com)
- Colbert Report abruptly suspends production (vancouversun.com)
Vodpod videos no longer available.
Strange Random Wine Quote:
Alonso of Aragon was wont to say in commendation of age, that age appears to be best in four things – old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. – Francis Bacon
Apothegms , no. 97
- Young Guns: Wine Startup – for Oenophiles and Average Joes Alike | Fox Business (exitbusiness.wordpress.com)
- Order LaBelle Wines Online! (labellewinerynh.com)
- Bibendum launches new artisan Chilean wines in drive to focus on country’s unique terroirs (prweb.com)
- Mmmm, wine from a polluted Brooklyn canal area (timesunion.com)
- New Website a and Twitter Group For BC Wine (intheglass.wordpress.com)
- Virgin Wines Biggest Ever Wine Tasting Goes Down a Treat (prweb.com)
- Mark Penna Departs Texas to Give a Helping Hand in God’s Vineyard (vintagetexas.com)
- 2010 Laughing Stock Vineyards “In the Pink” Rosé (vinifico.com)
- Three Wise Wines (acevola.blogspot.com)