A new £50 note is being issued on November 2 this year, with a range of new security features designed to outwit crooks.
At first, the new note will be accepted alongside the current £50 banknote, which came out in 1994 and features Sir John Houblon, the first Governor of the Bank of England.
In due course that note will be withdrawn and only the new one accepted.
Strange Random Banknote Quote:
“In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below. “
- New £50 note set for 2 November (bbc.co.uk)
- New £50 note to be introduced in November (independent.co.uk)
- Five Darwins to the Watt (guardian.co.uk)
- Memorial Day Poppy Quiz! (casasugar.com)
- Ottawa museum claims famed war poet John McCrae was gay (canada.com)
- About poppies, passion, planning and possibilities… (synchronixity.wordpress.com)
- What is the value of a 1982 Bank of England Five Pound note (wiki.answers.com)
What was the greatest invention of the industrial revolution? Hans Rosling makes the case for the washing machine. With newly designed graphics from Gapminder, Rosling shows us the magic that pops up when economic growth and electricity turn a boring wash day into an intellectual day of reading.
Strange Random Washing Machine Quote:
“Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine” – Whoopi Goldberg
- Today: Ask Hans Rosling anything (ted.com)
- Hans Rosling: The man with a mission and some data (kundanbhaduri.com)
- Hans Rosling’s Washing Machine and World’s Energy Consumption (krisnadhi.wordpress.com)
- Hans Rosling: How The Washing Machine Sparked the Reading Revolution (brainpickings.org)
- Washing machines fight poverty? (pakamisa.org)
- Why washing machines are important [Hans Rosling TED Talk] (olliebray.typepad.com)
- Must See TED Talks (thecraftydaoist.wordpress.com)